In all aspects of trading Sibona adhere to an ethical code of conduct which includes compliance with the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code as a minimum standard for the way that we conduct our business. This can be summarised in the points below.
- Employment is freely chosen
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected.
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour shall not be used
- Living wages are paid
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practised
- Regular employment is provided
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed
In addition our policy also encompasses a long term and committed trading arrangement with our producers and their workers. Working with the very best quality and the most skilled artisans ensures that prices at each level reflect the standard of work. In this way we hope to encourage the continued use of these skills.
Sibona has supported charities such as WaterAid and Care International and is currently sponsoring the Karuna Trust which works to provide education and opportunities to the untouchables or scheduled castes who are at the very bottom of Indian society.
Sibona are conscious of the impact of business on the environment and do our best to look at ways to minimise this. We recycle all our paper, cartridges and card waste, and have a policy to encourage the use of bicycles or public transport wherever possible.